Sunday, October 26, 2008

Miscommunication

I work at a veterinary clinic that has a boarding facility for dogs as well. I work mainly in the kennel portion. My job is extremely easy to say the least. All you do is play with the dogs, clean the runs, scoop poop, clean the drains, feed the dogs, keep everything organized, and make sure everyone is happy.

One day when I got to work it was a mess. There is a morning shift and an afternoon shift, and generally you can tell when the person in the shift before yours has not done their job. I work two nights out of the week and every other Saturday, and my good friend has two of the other night shifts. But one of the nights that I get there someone else has taken care of the kennel for the previous two days. Needless to say I was not happy. There was poop everywhere in the yard. The drains were so clogged that there was water backed all the way up to the cement. None of the runs were locked, and when I had got there a dog was running around in the fenced in back yard. The boards had not been updated for two days with dogs that had left and dogs that had arrived. I generally am the only one up at the kennel, but occasionally other workers will come to get dogs or other random things.

That particular day a coworker came and saw the mess that was left and thought it was possibly me. Needless to say my boss heard of the mess and I had to clear it up with her. Initially they had thought that I had left all the poop out, but when they realized there was no way the dogs could have made that much of a mess in the hour I had been there they talked to me about it. I was more than happy to point out the complete lack of work that had been done the previous two days because it was infuriating to me that someone was getting paid to not do their job. The other worker got a talking to as a result and now I'm happy to say the morning work is generally completed as it should be now.

No comments: