Sunday, September 14, 2008

Interview Process

"How to Answer the Toughest Interview Questions"

I was drawn to the title of this article, because it seems like it would be helpful to answer the questions that would be the most likely to cause your interview to sour. The tips on answering the "future" question were helpful. Talking about your values more than actual job positions is very useful but something I would probably have not thought to do. Having a salary range in advance is also something that is very useful. I know a lot of jobs I have taken have a standard salary and don't even ask that question. However I have been thrown off by that question before. Answering the "Why" question before the interview and making sure you don't sound too boastful or unsure of yourself is helpful. Knowing that your interviewer may ask a silly question such as "what tree would you be" and knowing there is no right answer is good insight. Just being prepared to think abstractly is very valuable for an interview.

"It's Your Turn: What to Ask an Interviewer"

This caught my attention because it's something I've run into before. One job interview I had told me almost nothing and asked me no questions. Instead two minutes into the interview they asked me if I had any questions and I was just in shock and froze because I wasn't expecting to have to ask EVERYTHING. It's interesting that this article states you shouldn't ask about salary, benefits, vacation, or a 401k because it makes you look like you are simply wanting compensation rather than the actual job.

Depending on who you are talking to for the interview, there are appropriate and inappropriate questions. Recruiters will answer questions about the hiring process and give you the overall picture of the company. Asking about the actual interview process, the company environment, and what type of people they typically employ are the best questions for the recruiter. The hiring manager will be your boss if you are hired, so it is important to ask them questions such as what skills are most important for the job, what is an ideal candidate, and what is the common career choice for someone in the position you are applying for within the company.

The executive can answer questions about the company's future. Asking where the company will be in five years, why it is better than other companies, and how it plans to overcome it's biggest challenge in the industry are all good questions. You can also be interviewed by a coworker. This is the time to ask questions about daily tasks and the work environment. They will give you the best idea on how the typical work day really is more so than what the manager will describe.

No comments: