Sunday, September 7, 2008

Where I'll Be in 10 Years

My main goal for the next ten years is to get into vet school and graduate with a specialty in avian and exotics. I am not sure where I would like to go to school, pretty much wherever I am accepted. I'm willing to go anywhere in the US to achieve this goal, so it's not a problem to me at the moment what schools I get into. I plan on taking the next year off so I can get my GPA as high as possible this last year before I apply to vet school. I also just need a break from school for a bit :) I currently work at Foxnest Vet Hospital so I am either going to stay there to gain experience or possibly try to work at another vet hospital after I graduate or maybe a zoo. I am also going to study for my GREs during this time.

Hopefully I get into vet school and finish my degree. If so I'd like to start out working at a practice under another doctor until I'm comfortable enough to open my own business. I hope to be able to work part-time as a zoo vet, since most do not employ full time vets. I will also have a private practice or possibly a partnership with someone. I would like to breed Belgian Shepherds, but only every once in a while. I also want to breed some various parrot species, but only if I have the facilities, such as a set-up in the backyard or something. I love birds but having various parrots in your house is extraordinarily loud.

If I am unable to get into vet school I plan to get a masters degree in an animal related field and I would love to become a zoo curator. I would want to be a part of the conservation portion of the zoos and help with breeding exotic and endangered species. Other than that I really don't know what I'll be doing in ten years.

No comments: